Magic of the Mundane

July 20, 2010

The children and I have been having our monthly Mommy & Me-s again. I take one of the kids out with me for some individual time, while the rest of them are in Music Production class with Papa, one day a week. (We just do a simple rotation, going from oldest to youngest.) It’s been great, but I’ve been noticing that as the weeks go by, the kids want increasingly elaborate Mommy & Me-s. This ultimately results in more money being spent, and I think it’s actually sending the wrong message.

I want my kids to learn that you can have a great time without spending a dime.  I want my kids to know that you don’t have to do anything or go anywhere “special” in order to make our time memorable. I want my kids to understand that the amount of someone’s love is not to be measured by the amount of money they spend. Quite the contrary. It’s simply about being in the moment, consciously connecting, and being mindful that every ordinary moment has the potential to be extraordinary.  I want them to know that you can deepen your relationships simply by making Magic of the Mundane.

photo via photoshopessentials.com

So today, Sparkle and I are going to do just that. And every week, every Mommy & Me, with every child, from here on out, will be an adventure made out of activities that could otherwise be less than magical.

Stay tuned over the next few weeks as I share how applying Sofia’s Ideas on Simplicity, Frugality, and Frivolity… all with an Eco-Mentality helps us make Magic of the Mundane.

This post is part of the Moms’ 30-Minute Blog Challenge, hosted by Steady Mom.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

phers

great way to look at life!!! I second that!

Sofia's Ideas

Thanks, Phers!

Elizabeth

I love this post – it is sometimes so much easier to just go buy a new toy or go out to eat as something to do or pay for a place to play. But in the end, as you say, it’s the being together that counts the most – and not just being there, but being in the moment. I love the quote, “Wherever you are, be all there.” This post reminds me of that. Thanks for sharing.

Sofia's Ideas

Hey Elizabeth! Thanks for coming by and thanks for the compliment – I really appreciate you taking the time.

Oh, I love that quote too. I actually have a version of that in my affirmations. It’s so helpful to have short mantras in my arsenal that remind me of what I want, especially during times when life gets a little hectic and I forget. This quote helps me instantly shift my energy.

Nina

good plan. luckily my son still accepts (with just a little fuss) if I say “we can’t do that right now I don’t have the money.” today I wanted to take him out somewhere (we have a few memberships so unless we buy something its free) and he just wanted to stay home and play.

Sofia's Ideas

That’s great – luckily, my children do too. I try to say, “Let’s use our creativity to come up with something that doesn’t cost anything… How can we use that money more wisely?” I just want it to be about spending time together…

stacey

great post sophie! my son is the perfect age to start mommy and me dates. i need to start that soon while he still wants to hang out with mom! 🙂 my favorite from your post: “Its simply about being in the moment, consciously connecting, and being mindful that every ordinary moment has the potential to be extraordinary.” i LOVE that! i too want to teach that to my children (which means i need to live it myself first).

Sofia's Ideas

Thanks so much, Stacey. I really appreciate that. And yes, I find myself holding on to my oldest a bit more because he is getting to that age where he is thinking about “hanging out”. I hope that keeping this tradition alive will help us stay connected throughout his teen years.

Amanda

With the weather being nice, its probably be easier to get out and do things without spending money. Love the idea of one on one time. Here are some ideas I thought of that you could try to make the time special without spending any money:

*take their favourite board game to the park.
*read a funny/special book together in the shade under a tree.
*go on a nature walk
*feed ducks old bread
*find a splash pad and join them in on the fun. dont just sit and watch.

just doing something together and having all your attention would make the time special.
Amanda recently posted..New hair do

Sofia's Ideas

Amanda, thanks for these great ideas! I really appreciate that. I love what you said, “join them in on the fun. don’t just sit and watch”. Now that sounds fun. And actually, I live in South Florida so I prefer the weather here from October through April. These summers are brutal!